Thursday, October 3, 2013

GOOD GARBAGE HAS A HOME!!!! Grand Opening set for November 30!

First let me apologize... I am very sorry for the lack of information on this page! I know it's been a very long time since I have been able to write here! I am not a very good blogger so I sure hope you have been following me on Facebook and Twitter!  I had a blast over the summer working with all the kids, doing camps and reuse art programs. I also was on the Planning Committee for the Louisville Mini Maker Faire which was last Saturday, September 28! If you didn't get to attend, check out our Facebook page and this great article!

During my posting absence I was working very hard selling every chance I could and appreciate The Flea Off Market organizers, Courtenay and Nathan. With them offering non-profits free space, I was able to at least keep the storage space paid for each month and buy some glue to keep the kiddo's happy with their art projects.

I had also been actively pursuing a cool home for Good Garbage! I searched high and low and visited lots of people and places to find a good fit. It's not easy! Louisville is a big city and there are a lot of vacant buildings and sometimes I wonder if people ever really want to see life in them. I have a small budget, so a place that is pretty much move-in ready and well, cheap! I have learned one thing, if I have learned anything... You never know who is listening when you are talking. Through a conversation with one friend, a friend of theirs heard my needs and Voila! A building was found! And a new friendship was made.

We will be located in the Portland neighborhood and if you haven't heard about the Portland Initiative, then check that out! I looked at many places in Portland and knew that is where I wanted to be. This space is in an old neighborhood corner store, that more recently was a laundromat. And low and behold it is smack dab in the middle between the old retail district of Portland and the up and coming artist area! About four - five blocks from either.

Besides keeping perfectly good stuff from the landfills and providing inexpensive items for teachers and artists, I want to take free art to kids in disadvantaged areas. And driving through on a Sunday afternoon... There is no shortage of kids! There are many schools nearby and that means teachers can easily get cool items they need; kids can play with good garbage to create art and use creative thinking skills; and there will be new life in that pink building that was once the cornerstone for the area. I am looking forward to becoming a part of the neighborhood!

There is a lot of work ahead to get the place ready and move from my storage space to the new building. I am looking at an opening of November 30. We begin work this week!!!! Ambitious? Yes! But I know that with a little help from my Louisville Timebank friends and my cheerleaders within the community, we will have the building prepped and ready for the Grand Opening! Our first community clean-out of the building will be October 11. If interested in helping, email me at Lynn.GoodGarbage@gmail.com. There will be lots of chances if you can't make that date.

Be sure to subscribe to the blog, like our Facebook page and find us on Twitter for updates to follow us down the Green Brick Road to Good Garbage.(Fell way short on a take of my favorite Yellow Brick Road, but I tried.) If you would like to be added to our mailing list to get special offers, announcements and newsletters, please click HERE. There will be more details to follow soon. Please share with your friends. Thank you all for your support and I look forward to sharing my vision LIVE very soon!!!
~Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment